Plan a perfect itinerary for Ladakh
Are you planning for a Ladakh trip? Then we advise you to design a perfect itinerary for your trip keeping in mind about the mountain sickness and acclimatization. It is the key to make your trip more enjoyable.
Itinerary planning tips for Ladakh trip
Ladakh is a vast area and have lots of places to visit. So plan accordingly how much time you have, which places you want to visit. What adventure activity you are interested in. There are many different routes which tourists follow to reach the Ladakh.
- Never sleep at a height more then 1000 meters from your previous day stay. So always design itinerary which includes gradual increase in the altitude.
- If you fly directly to Leh then give 24 hours rest at Leh (11000 ft) before you plan for your next destination. If possible explore near by places for 1 more day at the same altitude and then advance for the higher altitudes like Khardungla, Pangong or Tso moriri.
- If you going from Manali side then give a stay at Keylong or Jispa instead of staying directly at Sarchu. Manali is at an elevation of approx 7000 ft (2100 m), Keylong & Jispa at 10000 ft (3000 m) and Sarchu at 14000 ft (4200 m). Though you can easily go upto sarchu same day but we recommend to stay in between at Keylong or Jispa before staying at Sarchu.
- Terrain & road conditions may change frequently, so you may assume you will get approx 30 KM / hr average. Plan your next stay point accordingly.
Routes & itineraries
There are 2 main routes which connects Leh-Ladakh to the New Delhi. Mostly international riders prefer to cover route 1 Leh-Manali highway by road and then return via flight.
Route 1 – By road via Manali
Manali Leh highway is a popular route every one want to go through. It is a challenging route as tourists have to cross 5 high mountain passes. It is more scenic and full of adventure.
- New Delhi – Manali – Keylong – Sarchu – Leh – Nubra – Leh – Pangong – Leh – New Delhi
- New Delhi – Leh – Nubra – Leh – Pangong – Leh – Sarchu – Manali – New Delhi
Route 2 – By road via Srinagar
This route is preferred for proper acclimatization. It goes via Srinagar. Srinagar comes in Kashmir region. sometimes it get unrest but there is nothing to fear for the tourists. But still many people avoid this route. There is domestic airport at Srinagar and you can book direct flight from New Delhi to Srinagar and then reach Leh by road. In return you can book flight directly from Leh to Delhi. Another option is to return via Manali.
- New Delhi – Srinagar – Kargil – Leh – Nubra – Leh – Pangong – Leh – Sarchu – Manali – New Delhi
- New Delhi – Srinagar – Kargil – Leh – Nubra – Leh – Pangong – Leh – New Delhi
Route 3 – Direct by air from New Delhi
Another option to go Leh-Ladakh is by air and then return by air. Leh is the base to visit every major location in Ladakh. As you must have to return to Leh every time to refill your supplies like fuel, food etc. We recommend this option if you want to cover most of the Ladakh in less time.
- New Delhi – Leh – Nubra – Pangong – Leh – Tso Moriri – Leh – Lamayuru – Leh – New Delhi