One of the best places in Ladakh that is worth a visit is Nubra Valley. This being one of the sub districts in Ladakh with Diskit village as its headquarters. Diskit is around 120 km from Leh, the capital of Ladakh. The tributary of river Indus, Shyok meets Siachen river also known as Nubra forming a valley that separates Karakorum and Ladakh ranges. The average altitude of the valley is 10,000 ft. The mesmerizing landscapes, tall mountain ranges, beautiful trails and the huge range of shades and shimmering Shyok river that flows in the center of the valley is sure to enthrall the visitors.
How to reach
If you wish to go to Nubra Valley, the best point of start is Leh. The travel duration from Nubra to Leh valley is around 5 to 6 hours. You may have to take a small break at Khardung La. Since the altitude at Khardung La is very high, it is recommended not to stay for more than 15 minutes in this region. It is about 40 km from Leh to Khardung La Pass. Then you have to go to the Khardung Village (34 kms) from where you need to go to Diskit via Khalsar and reach Nubra Valley.
Places to see
On the very first day , you can visit Diskit and Hunder. Later, you can cover Sumur and Panamik on your ride back from Nubra valley. It takes 2 days to covers places such as Sumur, Hunder, Diskit and Panamik.
- Khardung La (18360 ft) – It is claimed to be world’s highest motorable road.
- Hunder – It is a popular night halt for tourist. It is famous for its double humped Bactrian Camels and photogenic Sand dunes.
- Diskit – Diskit is Nubra’s biggest settlement with hotels, bus stand, a Bazaar and internet cafes. It is famous for its Gompa which is in Old Diskit about 2 km from Bus stand.
- Sumur – Sumur is known for Samstanling monastery which is must a visit.
- Panamik – Panamik is famous for hot water springs also the religious lake of the city known as Yarab Tso Lake.
- Turtuk – You may also enjoy the view of apricot trees that surround the complete village with sights that are near to Karakorum range.